It’s that time of year once again. Time for all of the planning to be finished and have our team get ready for the start of Mass Effect Marathon 3! With only a few hours before the event starts, we felt it important to give you an overview of what we have planned for this upcoming weekend, along with a general overview of who we are, what we are doing, and why we feel it is important.
What are you doing again?
- We are going to be playing Mass Effect 1, along with the Bring Down the Sky & Pinnacle Station DLC, to completion. The entire process should take about 24 hours. We will be broadcasting our playthrough live on TwitchTV, which can be viewed on the main page of our website. During that time we will be interacting with viewers via IRC chat, and will be encouraging everyone to donate to Child’s Play Charity which is a wonderful cause that provides video games, books, toys and money to children’s hospitals around the world!
- It’s a great cause but if you would like to see what the charity does in video format, check out the Penny Arcade TV episodes about the charity. Child’s Play Part 1,Child’s Play Part 2, Child’s Play 2010, Child’s Play 2011
- We have a bunch of Online Polls that you can vote in that will help us make all the major decisions in either game. In addition, the more money you donate, helps determine how we play the game and who will live in and die during the Mass Effect 2 Suicide Mission, which will take place November 23rd.
- We also will sing, dance, and generally embarrass ourselves the more money we raise. All of that information can be found on our Donation Levels page so check it out!
When does it all start?
- The stream will be turned on at about 10 AM ET. For the next two hours, we will be showing fun videos that are Mass Effect related. This will include funny bits that we found on YouTube, fan-made songs, trailers and much more.
- This “Pre-Game Show” will be live from 10 AM ET until 12:00 PM ET. At which point we’ll cut the feed over to our live cameras, give a quick introduction, and perform our opening dance.
- After the opening dance, we start playing! At this point some of the Mass Effect 1 Polls will be closed. These include Gender, Alignment and Class. So if you want to vote and help decide how we play with those choices, better get it in now!
Any special events?
- Opening Dance | 12:00 PM ET - The tradition continues! We will have a seven person opening dance, done to the tune of ET by Katy Perry featuring Kanye West. What a way to start off the weekend!
- Human Pyramid | 4:00 PM ET – Back by popular demand, we will form a human pyramid and have someone play Mass Effect at the top of it. This requires a high amount of precision, patience and strength. Also it just looks really cool.
- Lounge Act Hour | 9:00 PM ET - For one full hour, our team will sing our favorite lounge songs. Such great tunes from the likes of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and even Richard Cheese. If you are looking for a specific song, just send us a donation and we’ll have as many people as we can muster sing and croon for you.
I can win prizes?!
- Yes indeed you can! Easiest way to win prizes is by donating. For every $5 you donate, you get 1 Raffle entry. Donate $50 you have 10 entries. These raffle tickets are valid through the entire marathon and can allow you to win any of our wonderful Prizes. Check out the link to see what we are offering and when it will be raffled off!
- If you are unable to donate, you can still win great prizes. We offer TWO free raffle entries that anyone can receive. Simply Like g33kWatch on Facebook, or use the following quote on Twitter: I’m Commander Shepard and this is my favorite gaming marathon on the Citadel! @memarathon #MEM3 www.memarathon.com.
- We also have a host of Live Auctionswhich you must be in chat to bid on. We will be bidding on these items live during the marathon and it’s a host of items that you can’t get anywhere else! If you win one of these auctions, you must donate whatever the winning bid was to Child’s Play using our widget on the website.
- For October 20th we will be Live Auctioning a Prop Assault Rifle provided by Ascension Props. It’s amazing and well worth a generous donation.
- If you are interested in an auction, but know you won’t be around for it, please email email@example.com or tell one of the Moderators and we can setup something so that someone will bid in your absence!
- We aren’t done yet! We have a bunch of Silent Auctionsthat you can bid on throughout the marathon. Simply enter your name, email address and your bid, and you are entered! Please take note of what the current max bid is, and when the auction will end! If you win one of these auctions, you must donate whatever the winning bid was to Child’s Play using our widget on the website.
- Ending at 10 AM October 21st, we have a Silent Auction for a set of Paragon & Renegade Pillow Cases provided by Hazel Smith.
Do you take requests?
- We absolutely take requests! All you need to do is to mention something in Chat and ask us how much we would be willing to do that for. We have danced and sung toNuma Numa, we have worn Pokemon Hats and sung the Theme Song, we have eaten gross food, and even had brothers punch each other, all in the pursuit of getting more donations.
- If you are looking for an idea on more stuff that you can force us to do, including Singing, Dancing, Feats of Strength, and Playing, check out the Challenges page.
- Don’t forget about the Slots of Insanity. For every $500 we raise during the event, we will spin the MEM Slot Machine. Each reel of the slot machine has a different purpose. First reel determines the style of the challenge, second reel determines what we will actually do, and third reel let’s us know who has to be involved. Once it is spun, the MEM team will figure out a challenge utilizing all of the determined factors
Paul Ference | Founder of High Charity Gaming Marathon will be calling in Saturday at 5:00 PM ET. Paul and the wonderful people over at High Charity have been hard at work the last year creating some really epic gaming marathons that support Child’s Play Charity. High Charity, formerly known as Skulls For Tots, was a multi-day gaming marathon where the crew would play through all of the Halo games, utilizing various in-game skulls (difficulty modifiers) for your donations. The event was a success, as the marathon was recognized as a Child’s Play Silver Sponsor in their very first attempt.
In addition to that, they also held a spring marathon filled with some of the hardest and most maddening platformers in the industry, including Super Meat Boy, VVVVVV, N+, Bit:Trip Runner and I Wanna Be The Guy. I have never seen so many in-games deaths in my life, it was highly entertaining!
So why bring Paul on the show? Because we think he’s a cool guy, and because the second annual High Charity marathon is happening next week, October 26th at 11 AM and will continue on until all of the Halo games are finished. So we wanted to have Paul explain more about High Charity, and let you know what you can expect to see during their event.
Well … that’s all we got. It’s a lot and we hope that it’s helpful. All we ask from you now is to help us spread the word, donate if possible, and enjoy watching us go crazy from lack of food and sleep. Thanks for the all the support!